What Volunteers Do
Villages provide a wide range of services to help their members age well, live long and stay in their own homes as long as possible. As an all-volunteer organization (with low membership dues) our Village can only provide those services that our members are willing to offer. We see a need for two kinds of services, direct member-to-member services, and services needed to make the Village work. Here's what we mean:
Neighbor-to-Neighbor Volunteer Services
- Transportation: One-way/round-trip rides for errands, appointments, and events.
- Personal Administrative Tasks: Organize paperwork, complete medical and dental forms, sort and review mail, draft correspondence, arrange for documents to be notarized
- Downsizing and Decluttering: Organize, store, sell, donate, and display collections; organize, pick up, and deliver donations to area centers.
- Electronic Appliance Support: Troubleshoot and do minor repair of televisions, radios, kitchen and bath appliances, yard tools, and medical equipment.
- Companion and Special Assistance: Escort for grocery shopping, errands, medical appointments; companion for coffee, regular visits, social outings, hobbies, reading, and telephone reassurance, respite visits to fragile relatives of members.
- Gardening and Yard Work: Indoor plant maintenance; outdoor landscaping, and raking/removal of leaves.
- Home Maintenance (light): Changing light bulbs, minor fixture repairs, seasonal packing and storage, brief absence services (water plants, pet care, mail pick up).
- Inclement Weather Support: Advance sidewalk prep, snow shoveling and removal, digging out the car, ice removal
- Neighborhood Errands: Grocery shopping, pharmacy, dry cleaning, post office, pet walking.
- Technology Support: Set up, programming, tutorials, troubleshooting and minor repair for software, printer, copier, fax, scanner, smartphone and iProducts; tutorial for social media interface.
Volunteer for the Village
- Communications: Website management, newsletter production, public relations, graphic design, copy writing, photography.
- Programs: Host or help with setup of MPV events, chair or co-chair events, serve on Events Committee, present at a program, organize a group.
- Finance: Help with budgeting and accounting issues and systems, do data entry.
- Fundraising: Fundraising strategy, committee work, support through phone and mailing communications, proposal writing.
- Membership: Host or help on small gatherings, staff membership tables at community and MPV events, follow up on member prospects, do member interviews.
- Partnerships: Call on prospective partners, help develop recruitment materials and gather information.
- Volunteer Assistance (Helping Hands): Recruit, train, and certify volunteers, field and assign volunteers to fulfill assistance requests, report on fulfilled assistance requests, help with volunteer orientation and training.
- Advocacy: Advocate on behalf of the Village and issues important to the Village.
For more information or to volunteer for one of the committees, contact Mount Pleasant Village at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a Volunteer
If there are other kinds of services that you would like to receive or provide, contact the Volunteer Assistance Coordinator at email@example.com.